Home Networking, Windows Server 2012 Essentials, Lights Out, the HP N40L, N54L and the Deal with NASA Interns – HT108
Jim (@jcollison) is joined this week by Andrew (@unrealshots) and Christian for Show 108! We were all about Christian (and Gary’s) Home Networking setup to include an in depth look at Windows Server 2012 Essentials, SharePoint and Active Directory! How to do it, how not to and how to get it done with what you have! We also talked about Lights Out, a Windows Server Addin, The HP Microserver N40L and N54L as well as Christian’s Intern experience at NASA.
Join us for the show live each Thursday at 8pmC/9E at http://theAverageGuy.tv/live.
Subscribe to the TAG Weekly Update (Be in the know!)
Come On! You know you want to!
No LIVE show for the next two weeks – Jim is in Germany. Follow all the pics I take at http://theAverageGuy.me.
Server 2012 Essentials:
- What makes Server 2012 Essentials different from Server 2011?
- Why should I pay $300 more for Server 2012 Essentials when WHS 2011 is $50 bucks?
- Big Features: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2012/07/17/windows-server-2012-essentials-feature-list.aspx
- Why it’s great for home users
- Why it’s great for geeks
II. Let’s Dig In:
- TeamViewer Screen Sharing Session
- Microsoft brag features
- Data Protection, continued. Windows Server 2012 Essentials can perform complete system backups and bare-metal restores of the server itself as well as the client computers connected to the network—now with support for volumes larger than 2 terabytes. New with Windows Server 2012, the Microsoft Online Backup can be used to protect files and folders in a cloud-based storage service that is managed by Microsoft. Windows Server 2012 Essentials also centrally manages and configures the new File History feature of Windows 8 clients, helping users to recover from accidently deleted or overwritten files without requiring administrator assistance.
- Anywhere Access. Remote Web Access provides a stream-lined, touch-friendly browser experience for accessing applications and data from virtually anywhere they have an Internet connection using almost any device. Windows Server 2012 Essentials also provides an updated Windows Phone app and a new Metro app for Windows 8 clients, allowing users to intuitively connect to, search across, and access files and folders on the server; files are also automatically cached for offline access and synchronized when a connection to the server becomes available.
- Windows Server 2012 Essentials turns setting up virtual private networking (VPN) into a painless wizard-driven process of just a few clicks, and simplifies the management of VPN access for users. Client computers can leverage a VPN connection to remotely join the Essentials environment without the need to come into the office.
- Workload Flexibility. Windows Server 2012 Essentials has been designed to allow customers the flexibility to choose which applications and services run on-premises and which run in the cloud. In previous versions, Windows Small Business Server Standard included Exchange Server as a component product, which added expense and complexity for customers who wished to leverage cloud-based messaging and collaboration services.
- With Windows Server 2012 Essentials, customers can take advantage of the same integrated management experience whether they choose to run an on-premises copy of Exchange Server, subscribe to a hosted Exchange service, or subscribe to Office 365.
- Extensibility. Windows Server 2012 Essentials builds on the extensibility model of Windows SBS 2011 Essentials, which allows other software vendors to add capabilities and features to the core product, and adds a new set of Web Services APIs. It also maintains compatibility with the existing software development kit (SDK) and Add-Ins created for Windows SBS 2011 Essentials.
You can email Christian directly at christian@theAverageGuy.tv
The Average Guy Facebook Group
The Average Guy Facebook Page
If you’d like to subscribe to the show, click on to update your iTunes library, or for other Podcast downloading applications, please click on the RSS Feed and pick your Pod Catcher of choice!
Or, you can now stream the show online at Stitcher.com at http://stitcher.com/listen.php?fid=22271
The Show Announcements and Schedule: https://twitter.com/#!/TheAverageGuyTV
Jim’s Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/jcollison
Contact the show at email@example.com
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theaverageguy/
Find this and other great Podcasts from the Average Guy Network at http://theaverageguy.tv