Black Friday, Cyber Monday, OCZ Bankruptcy, Buy The Right Tablet!, DNS Explained, nslookup, TestDisk, Thoughts on Google Glass & Privacy – RRPG025Kevin Schoonover(@schoondoggy1979) joins Jim (@jcollison) and Rich O’Neil (@dvn7) for RRPG #25. We’re all over the map on this one as you can tell by the title of the article. Kevin’s been coming up with a lot of great online deals and posting them in the Home Server Show forums.
- Determine your needs before you buy anything – server, laptop, PC, tablet. Don’t assume anything, do your research!
- STec was acquired, OCZ files, who will be next?
- This weeks project 1: My wife is moving from an Android phone to a Windows phone
- This weeks project 2: Setup three Nest Protect CO detectors in our home
- Post BF Deals
Jim – Slacking today
- Consumer SSD giant OCZ files for bankruptcy! Problems with Vertex line (and other things??) was downfall. Toshiba to acquire?? Read it here:
- TestDisk.exe – recover deleted partitions: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
- did I accidentally delete a 1.5TB partition about 2 hours before the show?? yup
- and did TestDisk restore that partition in about a minute?? yup
- It’s been around for years. Rock solid, IMO.
From my Intro to Networking class at University of Southern Maine:
- DNS – Domain Naming System
- My write-up: http://www.oneilusm.com/?p=1023
- Fun things to do with nslookup
- type nslookup at the command prompt and press Enter
- then try each of these switches and see what you get when you do a nslookup on a site:
- set type=CNAME
- set type=MX
- set type=NS
- set type= AAAA
- Still using Pluralsight.com for additional lessons on networking
- Free through my school’s connection with Microsoft’s Dreamspark
- Otherwise – $29/$49 per month
- Google Glass – Is it weird? Creepy? Are you concerned about privacy?
- Multiple VM instances of Spinrite running in my WS2012E machine
- ripped the disk to ISO and built vm’s on that
- ikon, watch out!
Rich’s RPG is a podcast hosted by Jim Collison and Rich O’Neil in Google+ Hangout. We talk tech with like–minded folks, covering stuff that’s interesting to us. No outlines, no agenda, no worries. And we welcome newcomers. Got your headset and a bit of free time? Join us on the show by contacting us at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/theAverageGuyTV
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theaverageguy/
Or, you can now stream the show online at Stitcher.com at http://stitcher.com/listen.php?fid=23341
The Show Announcements and Schedule: https://twitter.com/TheAverageGuyTV
Jim’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/jcollison
Find this and other great Podcasts from the Average Guy Network at http://theaverageguy.tv
Some links may contain affiliate codes that benefit the Average Guy Podcast Network.
Podcast intro and exit music is used by permission from “In the Shadow of the Great Machine” by Fool’s Chaos. Hear more great tunes at Fool’s Chaos.