The New Gallup iPhone (or iPod touch) Application – Get Your News Fix Now!
A new iPhone application for all you news and poll junkies is now available. Gallup (who I work for, full disclosure) has released version 1.0 of it’s soon to be very popular iPhone application that is free to download on iTunes. The application gives you access to all the latest daily numbers from US polling (like the President’s approval rating), the top news stories from gallup.com as well as the latest Gallup videos via YouTube. Nothing is more than 2 taps away. But remember, please don’t try reading it while driving. I know, it’s tempting.
A couple of features that may not be so obvious at first glance.
1. News articles also contain very readable charts and graphs to help explain the trends. While small, they can be zoomed in on for clarity.
2. You can share the news articles with a friend (or even an enemy that you are trying to sway) via email with a single tap from within the application and using your current contacts. Have fun with this one.
3. The videos stream very quickly via the YouTube application and are each just a couple minutes in length. When they are done, you will automatically be taken back to the Gallup application or you can tap done at anytime to return.
4. You can also register for the news to be emailed to you daily from the About section in the application. It will take you to the gallup.com site to sign up. Very easy to get that done right on your phone.
A couple of things I would like to see in the future.
1. Landscape support for the entire application, especially for the news stories.
2. The ability to tap on the daily numbers to get the trends for longer than just one day.
It’s a great start and I would encourage you to try it out if you have an iPhone or iPod touch. Then let me know what you think by posting your comments here. I’ll keep you posted when future versions are updated.
More info can be found here: http://www.gallup.com/poll/126068/gallup-application-iphone-ipod-touch.aspx
Remember, I search so you don’t have to!