12 Things To Do At the End of the Year for a Digital Health Check – HT148
Christian Johnson and Mike Howard from http://jpeg2RAW.com join Jim (@jcollison) for show #148 of Home Tech Podcast brought to you by the Average Guy Network.
Show Music provided by http://mynameisrudolph.com/
Support the Average Guy Tech Scholarship Fund: https://www.patreon.com/theaverageguy
Join us for the show live each Thursday at 8pmC/9E/1UTC at http://theAverageGuy.tv/live
Catch Mike Howard’s Podcast at http://www.jpeg2raw.com/
[3:59] What is your end of the year Home Tech Checklist?]
12 things you might have some time to do after Christmas dinner!
- Are your local PC hard drives still spinning?
- Physical Check (Some Great deals in the HSS (http://homeservershow.com/forums/) and TAG Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/theaverageguy/) lately. Best time to buy is usually now. Use https://www.patreon.com/theaverageguy if purchasing from Amazon,
- HS Tune Pro – http://www.hdtune.com/
- ATTO – http://www.attotech.com/
- Do an inventory of all your storage locations.
- Do you know where everything is at? Do you know the condition of them?
- Run Belarc to do an inventory. http://www.belarc.com/
- Are your clients getting backed up?
- Verify that your backups are working. http://www.code42.com/crashplan/ if you don’t have any backup.
- Might be a good time to check AV? http://www.malwarebytes.org/ or purchase at
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro 2013 http://amzn.com/B00AY016T0
- What have the kids installed? Toolbars?
- Are your cloud accounts still working?
- What data do you have on them? Do you have a plan?
- Do you know if they are all still in business?
- Do you know which ones you have? http://box.com, http://dropbox.com. http://copy.com
- Can you actually restore a file?
- Can you restore from bare metal?
- Do a real test!
- Have you consolidated your pictures and videos?
- Android to Google+ v Windows Phone to Skydrive
- Good time to get your documents in order and in a 2013/2014 folder.
- Do you need to scan them in?
- Do you just take a photo of them?
- FileCenter – http://www.lucion.com/filecenter-overview.html
- NeatDesk – http://amzn.com/B001CQ8ER2
- Is the data that just needs to go away?
- Just because you can keep it, doesn’t mean you should.
- Is your Windows Home Server v1 getting a little long in the tooth?
- Is it time for an upgrade to 2011 @ $40 – $50? http://amzn.com/B0050TVAWS
- WS2012R2E is now $399 on Amazon – http://amzn.com/B00GAIBC0I
- Check your UPS battery
- It is backing everything up, do you know it works?
- What about your gadgets?
- Jim’s Battery Backup Solution – APC Back-UPS Pro by APC Link: http://amzn.com/B0038ZTZ3W
- Look through your boxes of old equipment and recycle some of it.
- Come on, you don’t really need that serial port to USB adapter, do you?
- Best Buy Recycling Program – http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Promotions/Recycling-Electronics/pcmcat149900050025.c?id=pcmcat149900050025
- Check with your friend and remind them to do the same – pass this podcast along to a friend
Bluehost – CLICK HERE TO SIGNUP FOR BLUEHOST.COM
UpTime Robot – http://uptimerobot.com/
jpeg2RAW Photo Challenge – https://www.facebook.com/groups/jpeg2raw/
Ask the Podcast Coach with Dave Jackson – http://schoolofpodcasting.com/live 9:30am Central on Saturdays
Music from the band – http://mynameisrudolph.com/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/theAverageGuyTV
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theaverageguy/
If you’d like to subscribe to the show, click on to update your iTunes library, or for other Podcast downloading applications, please click on the RSS Feed and pick your Pod Catcher of choice!
Or, you can now stream the show online at Stitcher.com at http://stitcher.com/listen.php?fid=22271
Jim’s Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/jcollison
Andrew’s Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/unrealshots
Contact Christian: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the show at email@example.com
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/theaverageguy/
Find this and other great Podcasts from the Average Guy Network at http://theaverageguy.tv
Some links may contain affiliate codes that benefit the Average Guy Podcast Network.